My 3rd calendar year of courses at Uvic is now complete. This year I successfully transitioned from a Fine Arts Diploma student to a Creative Writing Undergraduate student (2nd Degree program). In total I’ve engaged in seven semester equivalent classes, 4 of which were in Writing, and I’ve learned that:
- I’m energized by creative writing
- despite my enthusiasm, creative writing is harder than it looks
- 2 classes every semester, on-top of everything else, is ambitious
- I quickly grasp concepts – but always require more practice
- (Critique) Workshops are essential to improve as a writer
In an ode to irony, while my interest in writing has skyrocketed, my posts on exploring-art.com have plummeted. Only six posts in 2013, but I’ve learned that people like:
- Pictures (select, not too many)
- Cocktails (or maybe that’s just me)
- Concise observations on writing (and life)
2014 is going to be great! I’m registered in two classes next semester, I’m committing to at least one exploring-art.com post a month (including either a picture, cocktail, or concise observation), and I’m going to play more squash this year (this shouldn’t be hard I’m pretty sure I didn’t play any squash last year).
Happy new year’s – here’s to the year ahead, and turning over new leaves. Cheers!